On Saturday I met a patient who, though he is from India originally, lives 10 months of the year in Toronto, where he works. His wife lives in Singapore. His sons are studying in Australia. They took her to the clinic where I work to check her diabetes. Healthcare costs in India are quite inexpensive, which is why they came here.
It was interesting to talk to this patient about his perception of various countries, including the US. He likes Singapore the best.
I asked him if he was mistreated at all in India, because he is Muslim. He said, “No”, and told me that the only thing that matters is your work ethic. Do your job and be reliable. He holds down 2 full time jobs, which has helped him be successful and provide for his family. He supervises cleaning staff at the Westin hotel.
I asked him about India, and he said Indians need to learn to care. In Singapore, you can get in trouble for littering on the bus. Most Indians don’t mind littering. I have noticed that too. Taking care of your area doesn’t seem to be a cultural norm, at least in this area. I think I see a culture that is changing, though. During my run I sometimes see people sweeping in front of their houses in a vain attempt at achieving some sort of cleanliness.
250 patients went through the clinic today, and any one of the doctors might see 30 or more patients in a day. Those are huge numbers by any standards.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment