Monday, July 20, 2009

auto rickshaw lesson for the uninitiated

In Chennai I have been getting around using a form of transportation known as an autorickshaw. It is a small, three-wheeled vehicle and has no doors or windows, except for a windshield. I have never seen a female driver.



Here is a short video of a ride in an autorickshaw.

There are a plethora of autorickshaws on the road, so it is easy to hail one, and this has been the preferred method of transportation for our team. I have a few tips for those uninitiated:
  • Negotiate the price up front. I hear this suggestion often, even though I don’t see the logic. You won’t pay the driver until you are at your destination, so, really, the driver is vulnerable. Usually, the drivers won’t negotiate the price upfront unless you do. You probably want to avoid the headache of a driver convinced the price should be way higher than is normal once he has already delivered his service.
  • If you don’t know how much the trip should cost, ask a local or compare two rickshaws. I have also found that walking away will sometimes cause the driver to offer a lower rate (several times, the driver drove beside and yelled at me from the road, continuing to negotiate). I much prefer to make the first bid at the price. Its important to act like you know what you’re talking about.
  • Know your landmarks. I would not be surprised if most of these drivers haven’t seen a map, and they do not navigate by road names, which would be my preference. Usually, I will name a landmark, and when we arrive, I can navigate from there (hopefully).
  • The interesting thing about Chennai is that drivers collaborate. If you try to negotiate with two at a time, they will decide amongst themselves who gets the ride before negotiating with you. Also, if one knows you negotiated with another, he will first ask the other driver what you’d negotiated with him and give you the same fare. I am actually impressed by their collaboration. Good for them.
  • If you need change, make sure the driver gives you the change before handing over your bill. If you give him your large bill first, you can probably assume he will, coincidentally, not have change to give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment